Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Life Well Lived: Dealing with Little Disappointments

I've been really fortunate to not have too many major disappointments in my life. Of course there have been serious disappointments here and there but nothing I couldn't get over with time. I consider myself extremely lucky.

But there are always the little things from day to day...and they seem to be the ones I struggle with the most. Perhaps it's pregnancy hormones or just lack of quality sleep but lately when something little gets me down, I've been having a hard time recovering in a timely fashion.

Consequently, I've been trying to do a few things to help me deal with my little disappointments more effectively. 

First, I've been trying to allow myself time to be upset. Instead of pretending everything is fine, I'm trying to let myself feel my emotions when they happen. Obviously, I try to avoid crying in the middle of the grocery store because they're out of gluten-free pancake mix but if I'm at home I just let myself cry if I need to. (This has prompted some good conversations with my daughter. The first time she saw me cry she was a little freaked out but now she seems to understand that sometimes mom just has to let it out...just like she does when she's upset.)

Second, I've been trying to make gratitude lists on a regular basis. While it doesn't erase the little disappointments it reminds me to appreciate what I have. It gives me a little perspective and helps me let the small things go.

Finally, I've been trying to ask for help when I need it. That way I'm not disappointed with myself for failing to accomplish an unrealistic number of tasks in one day and I'm not disappointed with my husband when he doesn't read my mind and vacuum the living room without prompting. 

What do you do to deal with the little disappointments in your life? 

Want some expert advice on how to deal with disappointment? Head on over to LIFE Well Lived and read what the expert has to say and share your own tips. While you're there don't forget to enter the LIFE Well Lived Sweepstakes (it ends 8/31/12) for a chance to win an iPod Touch and a $50 iTunes gift certificate.


1 comment:

  1. If I can be of any help from afar, please let me know. I'm happy to listen if you want to vent.

    As I was reading the gratitude list part of your post, the cat puked on the floor behind me. I've decided not to read any symbolism into it. I think the list is a great idea. I also think it's smart to embrace how you feel. Kaia is very empathetic when I cry. She gives me hugs and kisses. My sweet girl has got to be the first thing on my gratitude list!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...