Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Orange Juice and Motherhood

 
I could easily sit down and write pages about all the things that make me feel like I'm failing at this whole motherhood thing. Sick children would be at the top of the list. When my children are sick I do not feel like a good mother. When my children are sick I'm reminded of how much I cannot control--how I can't always keep them safe and healthy, how I can't always make them feel better with a hug or a kiss. Feeling like I can't protect them scares me. 

Before I get distracted and write pages and pages about how much a hate watching and listening to my babies coughing, let me tell you about something that makes me feel a little better--homemade orange juice. Ripe oranges at the end of December and early January always seem like a little miracle. Perhaps it's because I didn't grow up this far south, but it always amazes me to see the bright fruit ripening on the trees this time of year--when we need them most.
It's incredibly satisfying to be able to go outside in the cool drizzle (yes, winter finally reached us--no more 80 degree days for a while) and pick a huge bag of oranges. I'm amazed at how few oranges it takes squeeze an entire pitcher of juice. For a few seconds I forget about how uncomfortable we all are (the coughing, the snot, the germs I'm desperately trying to keep at bay even though we're all already sick) and I feel like a good mother.

I feel like a good mother because L smiles while we squeeze juice and she even drinks a few sips. It's like a little glass of fresh air and sunshine. It makes me feel better.

I hope you're all enjoying the winter months and staying healthy!

This post is part of Seasonal Celebration Wednesday

3 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for oranges and the vitamin C and sunshine they provide in an otherwise cold and dreary winter!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to step outside for fresh oranges at this time of year! Especially with a cold being passed through our family and OJ being the number one choice in beverage for sickies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, I couldn't agree with you more. Oranges arrive in their plentiful juiciness just when you need them most! Thank you for sharing this with us on Seasonal Celebration Wednesday and may your little ones make a swift recovery! Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...