Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Almond Shortbread Cookies (Gluten-Free/Dairy-Free)

These are my new favorite cookies. They're my gluten and dairy free version of the Almond Meltaway Cookies at the Novice Chef.* And they're my new favorite cookies. Did I mention that?
They have a delicate (i.e. slightly crumbly, melt in your mouth) texture that makes me think I'm eating real shortbread but with a sweet almond twist. 

Now you want to make them, right?

GF/DF Almond Shortbread Cookies

Ingredients:
2 cups GF flour (I used Namaste Foods Perfect Flour Blend)**
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup coconut oil (soft but not melted)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. almond extract

Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbls. almond milk
2 tsp. almond extract

Before you get started, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. 

Mix the GF flour, baking powder and salt in a small mixing bowl and set it aside. (Really, the size mixing bowl is up to you. You only need a smallish bowl but I used a fairly large bowl since my three-year-old was stirring for me and I was trying to help her keep as much flour as possible in the bowl).

Next, in a large size (again, see my note on bowl size in the previous paragraph) mixing bowl beat the coconut oil and sugar with an electric mixer until well combined. It won't get fluffy like butter and sugar...just kind of soupy. But that's okay. You could probably mix it by hand but I used a mixer. Your choice.

Add the egg and almond extract and mix again until well combined. Then add in the flour mixture a little bit at a time (L was helping me and she was happy to dump in a scoop of flour every so often) mixing well after each addition. Don't forget to scrape the sides of your bowl now and then.

Finally, roll the dough into little balls (about a tablespoon each) and place on the cookie sheet. Press flat with the bottom of a glass.   
Bake at 375 F for 7 or 8 minutes. 

When they're finished baking, remove the tray from the oven and let the cookies cool a few minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. 

When the cookies are cool, mix up the icing. Put all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir with a spoon until smooth.
Using a small spoon, scoop a little icing onto one cookie at a time and smooth gently with the back of the spoon. When the icing has hardened up, transfer to a serving tray and share with your friends. They're very nice with a cup of tea. Or, just eat them off the cooling rack while the kids aren't looking. You could also put them in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge.

I like them freshly iced and I like them cold, straight out of the fridge. I'm a sucker for almond anything.

I hope you like them as much as I do. I brought them to Easter dinner at my in-laws and no one complained. I also brought this cheesecake. I love cheesecake. I didn't feel even remotely deprived celebrating Easter without gluten.

*I'm calling them shortbread instead of meltaways because when my husband tried them I told him they were meltaways and he was expecting more of a sugar cookie...he was a little caught off guard by their shortbreadyness. So, shortbread they are in our house. I've never tried them with real butter and flour so perhaps the original version is more meltaway/sugar cookie and less shortbread. I can't say for sure.

**When I'm not using almond flour this is my favorite gluten-free flour. And no, they didn't pay me to say that. I just really like it.

This post is part of Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Tried and True Recipes, Tuesday Talent Show, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, and Seasonal Celebration

7 comments:

  1. These look great! Anything cookie just calls to me :) I haven't used gluten free flour. I will give it a try! Krista @ http://ahandfulofeverything.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And you could totally use regular flour like the original recipe if you don't have any GF on hand! Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. This looks great! I'm visiting from Totally Tasty Tuesday party. I would love it if you would share this on my site: http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2013/04/tried-and-true-recipes-6.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done!! Thanks for sharing your link!

      Delete
  3. These look amazing! I just started a gluten-free, dairy free diet and I have been totally craving cookies! I might have to try this recipe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love shortbread and almond, so this sounds like a winning combination. Thanks for sharing it at Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny, I always associate Shortbread Cookies with Christmas but your frosted cookies look like they would be perfectly delightful with a Springtime cup of Tea!
    Pinning and sharing on my Facebook Page :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...